Lost and Found: What to Do
If You Lose Your Pet:
1. Immediately call Ecologia at 154-9589 or visit the Municipal Pound behind the Presidencia. An animal picked up by Ecologia may have only 5 days to live, so you must act promptly. Every Wednesday, there is a notice on the local radio to inform the public how to get to the Municipal Pound. Directions, hours and days are provided by calling 415-154-9589.
2. Contact Radio San Miguel, 415-152-0227 or 415-152-0799 on Sollano#4. Describe your pet in detail and offer a reward.
3. Post photos and a bilingual description everywhere, offering money for a safe return. Post on the various Yahoo Groups geared to San Miguel de Allende, in particular, the Civil List here, and upload pictures to that website.
4. Check out Pet SOS San Miguel de Allende Facebook page with information about San Miguel’s lost and found pets here. Post your lost pet there, with pictures and a description.
5. Alert the S.P.A. at 415-152-6124. Bring a picture with details to the S.P.A. and we will post it. waiting area. Date the picture and we will leave it up for 3 weeks.
If You Find A Pet:
1. Approach any stray animal with caution, offering food and water. If the animal seems too frightened and aggressive, get help from a skilled professional or Ecologia (415-120-4339). For cats too timid or frightened to approach humans, consider borrowing one of the S.P.A.’s humane cat traps.
2. If the animal is not aggressive, take the animal to a vet as soon as possible. Our S.P.A. vet (and others) will examine the stray, determine health status, and start vaccinations and any other necessary treatment.
3. Post the information about the found pet on the various Yahoo Groups geared to San Miguel de Allende, in particular, the Civil List, and upload pictures to that website.
4. Post a picture and description of the found pet on Pet SOS San Miguel de Allende Facebook page.
5. Tape a picture and details and bring to the S.P.A. to post. Date the picture and we will leave it up for 3 weeks.
6. Listen to Radio San Miguel to see if anyone has advertised about losing a pet of that description. You can also contact Radio San Miguel, 415- 152-0227 or 415-152-0799 on Sollano#4 to advertise, with details, that you have found a pet.
7. If you cannot keep the animal permanently, put the dog or cat on the appropriate S.P.A. waiting list. Renew your waiting list application weekly at 415-152-6124. When we have space, we will contact you. PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to take in a stray animal, YOU have assumed responsibility for that animal indefinitely. The S.P.A. is a no kill shelter, therefore the wait for a cage may be lengthy.
8. If you cannot give the animal a temporary home, please find a foster or boarding situation. Please call our office for suggestions - 415-152-6124.
Please note that the S.P.A. is not equipped to help rescue a stray dog or cat, find a lost pet, or get involved with a situation involving animal abuse. We wish we had the personnel and finances to help all needy animals, but we don’t.