Lost and Found: What to Do
If You Lose Your Pet:
1. If you have lost your dog, immediately call the Canine Control Center at 415-154-7200 and go there to see if your dog has been picked up. A map is HERE. Photos of some of the dogs at Canine Control Center are on the volunteers’ page HERE. Canine Control Center is the city's kill shelter. You should go there in person every 2 days to make sure your pet is not there. Give a poster to the men when you go. GO TODAY! An animal picked up by Canine Control may have only a few days to live, so you must act promptly. Note: once in a while, Canine Control Center has cats also.
2. Contact Radio San Miguel, 415-152-0227 or 415-152-0799 on Sollano#4. Describe your pet in detail and offer a reward.
3. Check Pet SOS San Miguel de Allende Facebook page with information about San Miguel’s lost and found pets HERE. Post your lost pet there, with pictures and a description. This page is only for lost and found pets, not for adoptions.
4. Post photos and a bilingual description everywhere, offering money for a safe return. Post on the various IO Groups geared to San Miguel de Allende, in particular, the Civil List HERE, and upload pictures to that website. See the links below for additional pages to look for and post your lost pet.
5. Alert the S.P.A. at 415-152-6124. Bring a picture with details to the S.P.A. and we will post it. Date the picture and we will leave it up for 3 weeks.
If You Find A Pet:
1. Approach any stray animal with caution, offering food and water. If the animal seems too frightened and aggressive, get help from a skilled professional or the Canine Control Center (415-154-7200). For cats too timid or frightened to approach humans, consider borrowing one of the S.P.A.’s humane cat traps.
2. If the animal is not aggressive, take the animal to a vet as soon as possible. Our S.P.A. vet (and others) will examine the stray, determine health status, and start vaccinations and any other necessary treatment.
3. Post a picture and description of the found pet on Pet SOS San Miguel de Allende Facebook page. This page is only for lost and found pets, not for adoptions.
4. Post the information about the found pet on various IO Groups geared to San Miguel de Allende, in particular, the Civil List, and upload pictures to that website. See the links below for other places to post that you have found a dog or cat.
5. Tape a picture and details and bring to the S.P.A. to post. Date the picture and we will leave it up for 3 weeks.
6. Listen to Radio San Miguel to see if anyone has advertised about losing a pet of that description. You can also contact Radio San Miguel, 415- 152-0227 or 415-152-0799 on Sollano#4 to advertise, with details, that you have found a pet.
7. Put the dog or cat on the appropriate S.P.A. waiting list. Renew your waiting list application monthly at 415-152-6124. When we have space, we will contact you. PLEASE NOTE: If you choose to take in a stray animal, YOU have assumed responsibility for that animal indefinitely. The S.P.A. is a no kill shelter, therefore the wait for a cage may be lengthy.
8. If you cannot give the animal a temporary or permanent home and the owner does not show up, please find a foster or boarding situation. There are many Facebook pages for San Miguel rescues and adoptions. See the links below for pages to post the animal for adoption.
Please note that the S.P.A. is not equipped to help rescue a stray dog or cat, find a lost pet, or get involved with a situation involving animal abuse. We wish we had the personnel and finances to help all needy animals, but we don’t.
Links for Posting and Viewing Lost and Found Pets and
for Posting Pets for Adoption